RESOURCES + MATERIALS
- Jack Richeson Semi-Moist Watercolors
- Black Sharpie
- Apples and basket for observation
- Use a pencil to draw the basic shape of the basket. If you are using a basket for observation, refer to its shape as you draw and point out details that the artist could add. Be sure to include a horizontal line to indicate the table.
- Observe the apples and draw their shapes. Add visible details, such as stems or leaves.
- Use a black Sharpie to trace the pencil drawing, adding contrast.
- Using the moist watercolors, students can add realistic or imaginative color to their still life. For an added challenge, demonstrate how to add a basic shadow to the apples to add dimension. Remind students to let adjacent areas dry before painting to prevent color bleed. Finally, encourage them to paint their entire composition!