RESOURCES + MATERIALS
- Paintbrushes, palettes, water
- Tell students to turn the paper sideways to create the background first. Fold paper in half and open so you have a vertical line (you are looking at the picture sideways).
- Students will begin with one brush stroke of the solid color (pink in the example above) on the fold line—then stop.
- Explain that mixing white with a color makes it lighter. This is called a tint. Mix a bit of white in your pink and do another stroke on the left side of your first stroke.
- Next, add a bit more white, and continue tinting each stroke a little more.